Building the New Brooklands Speedway 
  Starting in January, 2017  

This page was last updated November 8, 2017

To visit the original Brooklands Speedway, please click the photograph of the flying Bugatti on the real Brooklands in England

Bugatti

  Brooklands Speedway 


Basement 2016

In July of 2016, you can see what will be my slot car room in the distance. It is the area with the walls painted with blue DryLock.




EastStorage

In July the slot room was storage for anything that could not be kept in the construction zone.




painting

By late August of 2016, the pegboard was on the slot car room walls, and I had started to paint the drywall.




Family Room

By the end of 2016, the Family Room was finished, and the door to the left of this photo leads into the slot car room.




Clock

The repaired slot car clock was placed on the west wall of pegboard on January 5, 2017.




west wall

The salvaged table with the start of the city of Cherrington Park is in front of the west wall as I prepared to build the new tables.




Floodlights

The view of the room in the opposite direction, facing east.




lumber

On January 7, we picked up the lumber to build the tables for the New Brooklands Speedway.




Floodlights

The next day the table structure for the rest of the layout started to take shape.



Floodlights

Progress is being made on the framework using the girder system from Model Railroader Magazines library.




Floodlights

By January 10, plywood was going onto the framework.




Covered

The surface plywood is in place.



Track

I started to experiment placing the track to figure out the best version for the new layout.



Layout

After some experimentation, this is pretty close to the final layout chosen, but it was still tweaked a bit.





Esses

Figuring out the esses.




Main Straight

Looking along the main straight where the driving stations will be located.




Fascia

By January 17, the fascia boards were in place around the layout.




Overview

The slot car room near the end of the first month of work.




WorkBenches

Finally I could start to organize and put some artwork on the walls.




West

More art on the west wall, along the city table.




Floodlights

The south wall now has more display cases, and some posters.




Elevation

In early February, the first elevated area has appeared on the layout.




Ives
A few days later I had mounted the train display shelves on the wall.




Assembled

In the first week of March, the track was connected, the driving stations in place, the scoring tower was in place for the Trakmate timing system, and other scenery was being tested for possible locations.




Foam

The hills are starting to take shape with insulating foam carved to fit, and the trolley route is being planned.




Tunnel Turn

The parking lot entrance is in place with a second elevation in the layout.




Factory

This factory was bought several years ago from the widow of the builder.  She told me that her husband kept construction structures but never got around to making a train layout. I promised her that this one would be on any layout I construct.



Shale

In April I worked on building this wall of shale to go on thelayout.




Trolley

The trolley line and the freight line train tracks are now in position.


Putty

I continued the application of Sikkens Kombi Putty to the seams between track pieces, especially where it would make the tires bounce.



Floodlights

After the putty cures, I sand it, and then do another thin application.


Testing

In late April I was able to test run a few cars to see where there still are problem areas.  Once I am satisfied, I will start to paint the track.



Scenery


In early May I continued to experiment with scenery locations so that I can plan the landscaping.


Caulk


I started to caulk the spaces in the foam, filling seams, and starting on the swimming mine hole atop the hill.



Shale
                                Placement


On May 27, I tested the location of the shale wall to see that it would fit properly.




The city section of the layout features Lionel Mystery Track pieces which allow the cars leaving the city to select one of the three possible highways outside of town.



Abraisive


I have been using Jeweler's Abrasive Cord to sand all the slot junctions for smoother car travel.



Abraisive

A few years back, I asked Chris "Dr. Oogan" DeAngelis to make two billboards for the old layout.  He took a photo I had made of one of my slot cars, and added a new background and did the artwork for this sign.  I adapted his artwork by fading it and adding grain to use as the background for this page.  You can see some of Dr. Oogan's products at his website, including the billboard he made for the first America On Wheels Museum's first slot car event ever.



Caulk

I started to apply caulk around the edges of the track and the pink foam to make a surface for the acrylic paint base that will be under the turf in these areas.



Test Paint

On June 10 I did a little bit of test painting to see if this would work as I wanted.  The blue and black is the base for the mine hole that swimmers will be visiting later this summer.



shoulders

In August I started to build shoulders for the track, including some Aurora "Speed Corner" like ones, using paintable caulk. Once this is properly cured, it will all get painted.



Distant
                        Thunder

In November I started the process of painting the track with Behr Premium Plus latex paint with a satin finish, once again in the shade of "Distant Thunder".




2017 - All rights reserved



Click Here for the Home Page 

Contact Dave Reese

This site is a member of WebRing.
To browse visit Here.